Tuesday, May 3, 2022

Life Altering Storms


They all got into a boat and began to cross over to the other side of the lake. And Jesus, exhausted, fell asleep. Suddenly a violent storm developed, with waves so high the boat was about to be swamped. Yet Jesus continued to sleep soundly. The disciples woke Him up, saying, “Save us, Lord! We’re going to die!”

But Jesus reprimanded them. “Why are you gripped with fear? Where is your faith?” Then He stood and rebuked the storm, saying, “Be still!” And instantly it became perfectly calm.

The disciples were astonished by this miracle and said to one another, “Who is this Man? Even the wind and waves obey His Word.”
Matthew 8: 23-27
The covid crisis that began in early 2020 brought chaos, confusion, and relentless change to our previous concept of normal. Like Jesus’ disciples in Matthew 8, we could compare it to being on a sea voyage in a tempest so fierce we can’t help but experience some measure of fear. First of all, we need to recognize this reaction is very normal and human. The human body is designed to pump adrenaline when it senses danger, which can be triggered by facing something unknown. This unknown threatened the entire world. Our family, friends and loved ones were all in its crosshairs. It created uncertainty in jobs, security, health, and freedom. It altered every sense of normal we knew.

Many widows feel like they are being tossed in a violent storm they have no control over. It washes away every sense of ordinary life, normal routines and wipes out the support beams of security we once trusted. The winds of grief over the loss of our husband grow overwhelming. The fog invades our minds and impacts our ability to focus or concentrate.

It's in these disturbing upheavals of life we need to remember Jesus is also in the boat. The raging storm attempts to bring fear and despair. Jesus speaks peace. The winds and the waves obey Him. I love Psalm 46 in The Passion Translation. Here are the first three verses, but it continues with even more encouragement for the saving power of the marvelous God we serve.
God, you’re such a safe and powerful place to find refuge! You’re a proven help in time of trouble—more than enough and always available whenever I need you. So I will never fear even if every structure of support were to crumble away. I will not fear even when the earth quakes and shakes, moving mountains and casting them into the sea. For the raging roar of stormy winds and crashing waves cannot erode my faith in You.
Psalm 46: 1-3
Moving forward in the midst of storms we can’t control requires us to yield to God to do what we aren’t able to do. It starts by us taking the steps we can take. It begins with refusing to yield to fear. I go before God and submit to His care and declare this prayer out loud. Our words are powerful and will blast through the spirit realm and build our faith as we hear it spoken.

I take power over every spirit of fear and condemnation. Fear is not welcome here. Fear I bind and cast you out in Jesus’ name. Nothing can touch me. I belong to the Lord God Almighty. You have no right to come near me with your scare tactics. You can’t touch me. You can’t touch my land, home, car, family or nation.
Do not be afraid, for I am with you and will bless you. Genesis 26: 24
Condemnation is powerless. I send you back to hell. Negative events of the past have no more power to harass, haunt, or take up residence in my thoughts. Divine inner peace and emotional wholeness is mine. Godly assurance, confidence, and faith replace all past brokenness. God’s great and miraculous hand is working for me in every situation. I have no reason to fear.
God stands with me. Who can be against me? Romans 8: 31
We need to remind ourselves God is with us if we want to find calm. Remember His abiding love and His desire to care for His children. We can’t pray too much. Prayer is having a conversation with our best friend and Father who loves it when we spend time talking with Him. If we ask Him to be with us in our boat He will be here.
For hasn’t He promised you, “I will never leave you, never! And I will not loosen my grip on your life!” Hebrews 13: 5
I cling to my faith God will see me through. I get frustrated sometimes because it feels like it is taking forever. There are times I’m not sure I can keep trusting. Some of the pain in my heart gets so overwhelming. Yet, here I am… living another day. His grace continues to be sufficient for the day. The anguish softens and I choose to keep putting one foot in front of the next. I confess out loud I will trust God and I believe He will see me through. Eventually my heart will hear my words and believe them.

Let’s pray.

Precious Father, thank You for everything You do for me. Thank You for Your unwavering promises and Your loving care. Help me love You back with the same measure You love me. Please heal all brokenness. I renounce all fear, and I keep my eyes on You. You are my good Father. I abide under the shadow of Your wings, I am safe and completely protected. In Jesus’ precious name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

God’s Heart for Widows

This Holy Week we stop and remember Jesus came to earth to save humanity by dying on the cross on Good Friday and resurrecting on Easter Sun...